Cancer of the nasal cavityMay 14, 2020
Cancer of the nasal cavity is a malignant tumor that affects the nasal cavity, maxillary, frontal, ethmoid or sphenoid paranasal sinuses.
Most often, these are neoplasms of epithelial origin. They make up 1.5% of the total number of oncological diseases. Usually affect people over 40 years of age. Men get sick more often than women. Cancer of the paranasal sinuses in 75% of cases occurs in the area of the maxillary sinus, in 10-15% - in the nasal cavity and the main (lattice) sinus, in 1-2% - in the area of the sphenoid and frontal sinuses.
Causes and predisposing factors.
- chronic inflammatory diseases of the nasal cavity (rhinitis, sinusitis)
- occupational hazards (woodworking, leather processing, nickel production)
- bad habits (smoking, alcohol)
Clinical symptoms of cancer of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses can be:
- feeling of pressure in the sinuses
- difficulty in nasal breathing
- nasal discharge accompanied by nosebleeds
- reduced sense of smell
- numbness and goosebumps on the skin of the face
- facial deformities and tooth loss.
- Examination of an otolaryngologist, oncologist
- Rhinoscopy (examination of the nasal cavity), tumor biopsy (sampling of a piece of tissue), followed by morphological examination
- Pharyngoscopy (examination of the pharynx)
- Ultrasound of the lymph nodes of the neck, abdominal organs
- CT of the facial skeleton, neck, and thoracic organs with intravenous contrast
Treatment tactics for cancer of the paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity are determined individually, taking into account the localization, size, histological type and prevalence of the neoplasm. As a rule, a combination therapy is used, including surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
In the Moscow Clinical Scientific and Practical Center named after A. S. Loginov, the treatment of patients with cancer of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses is carried out jointly by doctors of diagnostic services, endoscopists, surgeons, chemotherapists, radiologists, pathologists.
Do not delay your visit to the specialists of our Center. Early access to specialists makes it possible to conduct a full-fledged timely treatment, provides the possibility of performing radical surgical intervention, including with the use of organ-preserving techniques of endonasal surgery. Doctors of the center for diagnosis and treatment of head and neck tumors of the State Medical Institution of the Moscow State Medical Center named after A. S. Loginov are always ready to help you.