Gastrointestinal tumors (GISO) of the stomach and small intestineMay 18, 2020
Gastrointestinal (gastrointestinal) stromal tumors (GISO) - rare neoplasms with a frequency of 10-15 cases per 1 million population. Most often, tumors are localized in the stomach – up to 60 %. The frequency of occurrence in the small intestine is about 30 %.
Who is at risk?
The disease is slightly more common in men. The average age of patients is 60-65 years, but they can occur at any age. The occurrence of GISO in children is associated with hereditary syndromes (Carney triad, Carney-Stratakis syndrome). The danger of the disease lies in the risk of developing gastrointestinal bleeding, intestinal obstruction, perforation of the hollow organ, tumor metastasis, intoxication ("poisoning") of the body and death.
You can suspect the disease if the following symptomsoccur .
- The occurrence of abdominal discomfort or pain
- Gastrointestinal bleeding or the presence of hidden blood in the feces.
- The presence of signs of paraneoplastic (associated with the presence of a tumor) process during the spread of the disease (weakness, weight loss, anemia, etc.).
For any of these signs, you should consult a doctor.
The following methods are used to diagnose GIS.
- EGDS (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) - examination through a device-an endoscope inserted through the mouth, esophagus, stomach and duodenum allows you to find a tumor and, if necessary and possible, perform a biopsy (take a small piece for histological (under a microscope) examination).
- CT (computed tomography) with contrast through the mouth and intravenously, it allows you to determine the localization of the formation, its size and prevalence, as well as the presence of additional foci.
- Endosonography (ultrasound examination (ultrasound) through an endoscope) allows you to more accurately know the nature and location of the tumor (including the layer from which the formation originates (GISOS originate from the muscle layer)), which is necessary to determine surgical tactics.
The Moscow Clinical Scientific and Practical Center named after A. S. Loginov, where the treatment of patients with GIS is carried out jointly by oncologists and surgeons, has accumulated the experience of hundreds of successful observations.
With local forms of the tumor, an operation is performed. In our Center, these operations are performed laparoscopically (through minimal "punctures" and incisions), including using the DaVinci robot. In common forms, treatment begins with chemotherapy using targeted ("targeted") drugs.
All patients during and after treatment are under constant medical supervision of the Center's specialists.
Do not delay your visit to the specialists of our Center. This will help to diagnose the disease in a timely manner and choose the right treatment tactics. Doctors of the Department of High-tech Surgery and Surgical Endoscopy and the Department of Chemotherapy of the State Medical Institution of the Moscow State Medical Center named after A. S. Loginov DZM are always ready to help you.
|Отделение высокотехнологичной хирургии и хирургической эндоскопии|