World No Tobacco DayNews
Every year, May 31 is celebrated World No Tobacco Day. In 2021, the global campaign will be held under the slogan "It's time to give up tobacco". It sets itself a number of important tasks:
- to draw people's attention to the harmful effects of tobacco smoking on the body;
- help smokers get rid of a bad habit;
- reduce tobacco use in any form;
- expand access to tobacco-free services.
It is commonly believed that smoking is just a bad habit, but in fact, tobacco addiction is a disease. Every fifth person in the world is a smoker. Unfortunately, in Russia, this figure is higher - in our country, every third smokes.
It is established that heart attack and lung cancer are directly related to smoking. A bad habit complicates the course of more than 25 diseases, threatens pathologies of intrauterine development and even fetal death. Tobacco is a great danger for the immature child's body.
Every year around the world, smoking takes the lives of 6 million people, including 600 thousand of those who are constantly near the smoker and are forced to inhale harmful smoke.
Why do I need to quit smoking?
Quitting tobacco benefits your health both immediately and in the long run:
- Just 20 minutes after stopping smoking, the pulse slows down.
- Within 12 hours, the carbon monoxide content in the blood decreases to normal levels.
- Within 2-12 weeks, blood circulation and lung function improve.
- Within 1-9 months, cough and shortness of breath gradually disappear.
- After 5-15 years, the risk of stroke decreases to a similar level in a non-smoker.
- Within 10 years, the risk of developing lung cancer decreases, compared to the risk for a smoker, by about half.
- Within 15 years, the risk of developing heart disease decreases to a similar level in a non-smoker.
Modern ways to quit smoking
Today, there are a number of methods of quitting smoking (nicotine replacement therapy, psychotherapy, etc.). It is important to note that they will be effective only if a person has the motivation to cope with a bad habit.
Be healthy and remember that your health is in your hands!