Osteoporosis. Symptoms and diagnosisNews
Osteoporosis is a systemic disease characterized by a decrease in bone density, which leads to bone fragility and, as a result, fractures with minimal trauma. As a rule, this happens when you fall from a height of your own height or arbitrarily. Who is at risk?
- postmenopausal women
- men aged 50 and over
- patients who have been receiving systemic glucorticosteroid therapy for more than 3 months
You can suspect the disease if the following symptoms occur:
- Reduction of growth by 2 cm or more in 1-3 years or by 4 cm or more compared to growth in 25 years
- Change in posture in the form of increased thoracic kyphosis
- The presence of chronic back pain or its appearance for the first time after falling from a height of your height or when lifting weights
- Fracture of the femoral neck, vertebrae, or radius, if the patient has previously had a low-energy injury
If one or more of these signs are detected, it is recommended to consult a doctor. The specialist will assess the situation and appoint a follow-up examination.
In particular, X-ray densitometry is used to diagnose osteoporosis. This study allows you to determine the density of bone tissue in the neck of the femur, lumbar vertebrae, radius, to confirm or exclude the diagnosis of osteoporosis.
The danger of this disease lies in the increased risk of fractures, and this entails the development of chronic pain and significant restriction of motor activity.
In the Moscow Clinical Scientific Center named after A. S. Loginov, the solution of the problem of osteoporosis is carried out by the joint efforts of rheumatologists and endocrinologists. Early access to our specialists allows you to assess the severity of the disease, the risk of fractures in the next 10 years of life and start treatment in a timely manner, without waiting for complications.#Переведено YandexTranslate