Risk factors for breast fibroadenoma:
It is not known for certain what exactly provokes the development of fibroadenomas. Fluctuations in the level of reproductive hormones (in particular, leading to an excess of estrogen in the body) can affect the occurrence of fibroadenomas. One of the risk factors for the development of such formations is the use of oral contraceptives at the age of 20 years.
Symptoms of breast fibroadenoma:
- Feeling of discomfort, soreness in the mammary gland
- A mobile, dense formation in the mammary gland that can be detected by touch
- May be an accidental finding during a routine examination
List of necessary examinations:
- Consultation with an oncologist-mammologist, including discussion of disturbing symptoms, examination of the mammary glands
- Digital mammography (from 39-40 years old). With a radiologically dense background, a mammologist may recommend breast tomosynthesis
- Ultrasound examination of the mammary glands (ultrasound)
The above-mentioned methods of examination do not require special training.
The need for a biopsy (fine needle or trepan biopsy) is determined by the mammologist and depends on the data obtained during the examination.
The question of surgical treatment or the possibility of dynamic observation is decided at an appointment with a mammologist on an individual basis, taking into account the data obtained as a result of a comprehensive examination.
It should be remembered that surgical treatment with fibroadenom is not a prevention of their occurrence in the future.
It is necessary to regularly undergo instrumental examinations (digital mammography, ultrasound) with the subsequent interpretation of the results obtained by a mammologist.