Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a chronic immuno - inflammatory disease in which only the large intestine (necessarily the rectum) is involved in the inflammatory process, while the inflammation is most often limited to the mucous membrane and is diffuse.
The etiology of UC is not established. The disease develops as a result of a combination of several factors, including genetic predisposition, defects in innate and acquired immunity, intestinal microflora, and various environmental factors.
In the presence of these microbiological and immunological changes, UC develops under the influence of trigger factors, which include
- nervous stress,
- vitamin D deficiency,
- low-fiber and high-protein foods with high levels of animal protein,
- intestinal infections, especially C. difficile infection.
There are no unambiguous diagnostic criteria for UC. The diagnosis is made on the basis of a combination of anamnesis, clinical picture and typical endoscopic and histological changes.
The main clinical symptoms ulcerative colitis include:
- diarrhea and / or false blood urges,
- tenesmus and the imperative urge to defecate,
- and also night defecation.
With a severe UC attack, common symptoms may occur, such as
- weight loss,
- general weakness,
- and a fever.
Laboratory and instrumental diagnostics The YAK includes
- study of general and biochemical blood tests,
- fecal analysis for toxins A and B of Clostridium difficile,
- colonoscopy with an examination of the ileum with a biopsy.
Therapeutic measures for UC include
- prescribing medications,
- surgical treatment,
- psychosocial support
- and dietary recommendations.
In the Moscow Clinical Scientific Center named after A. S. Loginov, the treatment of UC patients is carried out by specialists of the IBD treatment department together with the Coloproctology department.
Do not delay your visit to the specialists of our Center. This will help to diagnose the disease in a timely manner and choose the right treatment tactics. Doctors of the department of treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases of the State Medical Institution of the Moscow State Medical Center named after A. S. Loginov are always ready to help you.