Gastroesophageal reflux disease
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) — this is a condition that develops when the reflux of the contents of the stomach into the esophagus is accompanied by the appearance of disturbing symptoms and/or the development of complications.
Causes of occurrence:
1. Decrease in pressure and increase in episodes of relaxation of the esophageal-gastric sphincter:
- Food products (chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, fatty foods, tomatoes, citrus fruits, foods containing high concentrations of nitrates and food preservatives),
- Medications (nitrates, calcium antagonists, m-cholinomimetics, etc.),
- Hernia of the esophageal orifice of the diaphragm.
2. Increase in the pressure gradient directed from the stomach to the esophagus:
- Abdominal obesity,
Symptoms of the disease:
- heartburn (burning sensation behind the sternum),
- regurgitation (belching with sour, bitter, food),
- chest pain,
- extraesophageal manifestations due to reflux:
- cough of a reflux nature,
- bronchial asthma of a reflux nature,
- erosion of tooth enamel,
- recurrent otitis media.
- esophagogastroduodenoscopy (if indicated – biopsy and histological examination),
- x-ray examination,
- 24-hour pH meter/impedance meter,
- esophageal manometry.
Long-term GERD is associated with the risk of erosive esophagitis, esophageal strictures, Barrett's esophagus, and esophageal adenocarcinoma.
In the Moscow Clinical Scientific and Practical Center named after A. S. Loginov , doctors of the Department of Pathology of the upper digestive tract, the laboratory of functional Diagnostics of diseases of the esophagus and stomach, the department of High-tech Surgery and Surgical Endoscopy, the Department of operative Endoscopy are engaged in solving the problem of GERD.
Do not delay your visit to the specialists of our Center. This will help to diagnose the disease in a timely manner, choose the right treatment tactics and prevent complications of GERD. Doctors of the Department of Pathology of the upper digestive tract of the State Medical Institution of the Moscow State Medical Center named after A. S. Loginov DZM are always ready to help you.