Functional dyspepsia is a condition that significantly affects the patient's daily activities and well-being and is characterized by one or more of the following symptoms: a feeling of fullness in the epigastrium after eating, early satiety, pain or burning in the epigastrium, which cannot be explained after a routine clinical examination.
Causes of the disease:
The exact causes of functional dyspepsia are not definitively known, however, there are several factors that contribute to the occurrence of functional dyspepsia, the main ones are:
- Psychosocial factors (chronic stress, anxiety, depression).
- The error in the diet, the use of certain products (red pepper, onion, mayonnaise, nuts, citrus fruits, chocolate, coffee, carbonated drinks).
You can suspect the disease if the following symptoms occur:
- pain in the epigastric region (pain occurs at least once a week and is not permanent, associated with eating or fasting);
- burning sensation in the epigastric region (it is an unpleasant sensation of heat);
- feeling full after eating (regarded as an unpleasant feeling of prolonged food retention in the stomach);
- early satiety (a feeling of fullness of the stomach shortly after the start of the meal).
Diagnosis of functional dyspepsia.
Under the guise of functional dyspepsia, other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract can occur, for example, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, tumors, chronic pancreatitis, chronic cholecystitis, etc., so it is necessary to conduct a number of examinations to exclude these diseases and identify functional dyspepsia. It is mandatory to perform esophagogastroduodenoscopy, ultrasound examination of the abdominal organs, examination of H. pylori infection, clinical and biochemical blood tests. If necessary, the doctor will prescribe additional methods of examination.
Treatment of patients with functional dyspepsia includes general measures to normalize the lifestyle and the nature of nutrition, the use of medications, depending on the form of the disease.
In the Moscow Clinical Scientific and Practical Center named after A. S. Loginov, the problems of functional dyspepsia are dealt with by gastroenterologists together with psychologists.
Do not delay your visit to the specialists of our Center. This will help to diagnose the disease in a timely manner and choose the right treatment tactics. Doctors of the Department of Pathology of the upper digestive tract of the State Medical Institution of the Moscow State Medical Center named after A. S. Loginov DZM are always ready to help you.