Zollinger-Ellison syndrome is a symptom complex characterized by the appearance of peptic ulcers of the duodenum and stomach that do not respond to standard anti-ulcer therapy.
Causes of occurrence:
A gastrin-producing tumor (gastrinoma) is usually localized in the pancreas (85% of cases). In 15% of cases, the tumor is found in the stomach or in the duodenum. It is characterized by increased secretion of gastrin (a hormone produced by the G-cells of the stomach and pancreas), which activates the secretion of large amounts of hydrochloric acid by the stomach. This is due to the occurrence of peptic ulcers of the duodenum and stomach.
Most often, the initial manifestations of this disease occur at the age of 30-60 years.
You can suspect the disease if the following symptoms occur:
- "Hungry", "night" pain in the upper abdomen, as in duodenal ulcer and stomach, but in contrast to them are very persistent, are more intense and do not respond to standard anti-ulcer therapy.
- Heartburn and acid belching. Many patients have esophagitis phenomena, sometimes even with the formation of narrowing (stricture) of the esophagus
- Loose stools - plentiful, watery, with a lot of fat. A significant reduction in body weight is possible.
- Ulcers of the stomach and duodenum that do not respond to healing even with prolonged complex therapy.
- If one or more of these signs are detected, it is recommended to consult a doctor. The specialist will assess the situation and appoint a follow-up examination.
- Endoscopic examination reveals an ulcer that does not differ from that of the usual duodenal ulcer and stomach ulcer.
- Laboratory diagnostics-examination of the level of gastrin in the blood serum.
- The study of the acidity of gastric juice by conducting pH-metry of the stomach.
The localization of the tumor itself is detected using computed tomography and / or endosonography.
In the Moscow Clinical Scientific and Practical Center named after A. S. Loginov, the solution of the problem of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome is carried out jointly by gastroenterologists, endocrinologists and surgeons.
Do not delay your visit to the specialists of our Center. This will help to diagnose the disease in a timely manner and choose the right treatment tactics. Doctors of the Department of Pathology of the upper digestive tract of the State Medical Institution of the Moscow State Medical Center named after A. S. Loginov DZM are always ready to help you.