NSAID-gastropathy is a pathology of the upper digestive tract that occurs in chronological connection with the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (diclofenac, ibuprofen, acetysalicylic acid, etc.) and is characterized by damage to the gastric mucosa (the development of erosions, ulcers and their complications).
Risk factors for the development of NSAIDs-gastropathy include:
- Age >60 years,
- Female gender,
- A history of peptic ulcer disease,
- Use of relatively more toxic NSAIDs,
- High-dose NSAIDs (or combined use of 2 or more NSAIDs),
- Combined use of anticoagulants and / or corticosteroids,
- Duration of NSAID use,
- History of CHD,
- H. pylori infection,
- Alcohol abuse.
You can suspect this pathology if the following symptoms occur:
- pain or a feeling of heaviness in the epigastric region that occurs in chronological connection with the use of NSAIDs,
- signs of gastrointestinal bleeding (black feces, vomiting of "coffee grounds", tachycardia (rapid heartbeat), hypotension (low blood pressure)).
If you find one or more of these signs, you should consult a doctor. The specialist will assess the situation and appoint a follow-up examination.
For the diagnosis of NSAID-gastropathy, esophagogastroduodenoscopy is performed, which allows you to assess the condition of the gastric and duodenal mucosa and identify erosive and ulcerative lesions, as well as a study for the presence of H. Pylori infection.
The danger of this pathology lies in the development of gastrointestinal bleeding, penetration and perforation of ulcerative defects.
Gastroenterologists of the Department of Pathology of the upper digestive tract The Moscow Clinical Scientific and Practical Center named after A. S. Loginov selects therapy depending on the degree of erosive and ulcerative lesions, and also determines preventive measures to prevent the development of relapses and complications of this pathology.
Do not delay your visit to the specialists of our Center. This will help to diagnose the disease in a timely manner and choose the right treatment tactics. Doctors of the Department of Pathology of the upper digestive tract of the State Medical Institution of the Moscow State Medical Center named after A. S. Loginov DZM are always ready to help you.