Cancer of the head of the pancreas
Pancreatic head cancer (PPH) is a malignant tumor that occurs in the head of the pancreas. It occupies the 7th place in the structure of causes of death from all malignant tumors.
Cancer of the head of the pancreas often occurs in the elderly, in patients over 70 years of age. Men get sick 1.5-2 times more often. In addition, smoking, alcohol intake, the presence of chronic pancreatitis, diabetes mellitus are risk factors for the development of the disease.
You can suspect the disease when the following symptoms occur.
- yellowing of the skin (mechanical jaundice),
- pain in the upper abdomen,
- weight loss,
- skin itching (with mechanical jaundice).
If any of these signs are detected, it is recommended to consult a doctor. The specialist will assess the situation and appoint a follow-up examination.
The following methods are used for the diagnosis of BPH:
- Ultrasound examination (ultrasound) is a method for detecting mechanical jaundice, determining the level of the bile duct block, and primary evaluation of the tumor.
- Computed tomography (CT)) abdominal cavity with intravenous contrast is the main method of non-invasive diagnosis (without introduction into the body), it is necessary to assess the location of the tumor and its size, spread to neighboring organs, blood vessels, the presence of metastases in the lymph nodes and other organs.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)) the abdominal cavity provides similar information, allows magnetic resonance cholangiopancreaticography (MRCPG) to obtain a non-invasive image of the bile and pancreatic ducts, but it is longer than CT and has more contraindications.
- Endosonography (ultrasound through an endoscope) is an invasive method, highly informative for assessing the resectability (possibility of removal) of the tumor, and allows you to perform a very accurate biopsy (taking a fragment for examination) of the tumor.
- Along with other laboratory data, it is very important to determine the content of cancer markers CEA and CA19-9 – specific substances for this tumor in the blood.
Other diagnostic methods can be assigned additionally.
In the Moscow Clinical Research Center named after A. S. Loginov, the solution of the problem of pancreatic head cancer is carried out jointly by oncologists, gastroenterologists and surgeons. In the early stage of the tumor, radical surgical treatment is indicated – pancreatoduodenal resection, one of the largest operations on the abdominal organs. Therefore, it is especially important to perform this operation in the least traumatic ways: laparoscopically and with a DaVinci robot.
Our Center has accumulated the largest experience in Russia and one of the largest in the world in such operations. These technologies allow you to start the necessary chemotherapy treatment as soon as possible after the operation. Oncologists of our Center have all the necessary modern medicines for this purpose.
For the treatment of common forms of the disease, it is also possible to conduct chemotherapy as prescribed by the oncologist of our Center.
Do not delay your visit to the specialists of our Center. This will help to diagnose the disease in a timely manner and choose the right treatment tactics. Doctors of the State Medical Institution of the Moscow State Medical Center named after A. S. Loginov DZM are always ready to help you.