Chronic pancreatitis is a disease of the pancreas of an inflammatory nature, in which periods of exacerbation of the inflammatory process lead to the replacement of the pancreatic parenchyma with fibrous connective tissue, which leads to a violation of the function of the pancreas.
Who is at risk?
- patients who abuse alcohol,
- patients suffering from gallstone disease,
- patients who abuse high-calorie and spicy foods,
- patients with impaired lipid and calcium metabolism,
- patients with close relatives suffering from chronic pancreatitis,
- patients with congenital features of the pancreas,
- patients suffering from autoimmune diseases,
- patients with acute pancreatitis, pancreatic necrosis.
You can suspect the disease if the following symptoms occur:
- pain in the upper half of the abdomen, which occurs or increases in 20-30 minutes after eating, can radiate to the left shoulder, shoulder blade, back.
- attacks of intense pain in the upper half of the abdomen, may be accompanied by nausea, sometimes-vomiting.
- the development of symptoms of dyspepsia (nausea, bloating, loose stools, etc.), especially in patients at risk, which may indicate a violation of the function of the pancreas – the development of exocrine insufficiency
- increased blood glucose, the development of diabetes.
If one or more of these signs are detected, it is recommended to consult a doctor. The specialist will assess the situation and appoint a follow-up examination.
The diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis is established by the combination of the clinical picture and the results of laboratory and instrumental studies. For the diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis, laboratory testsare performed : determination of the level of white blood cells, markers of inflammation, pancreatic enzymes in the blood, urine and feces; as well as instrumental studies: ultrasound examination of the abdominal organs, according to indications – multispiral computed tomography with intravenous bolus contrast, endoscopic ultrasonography, magnetic resonance imaging.
Conservative treatment of chronic pancreatitis consists in the appointment of a special diet with the exception of fatty, fried, smoked, spicy food and alcohol, pancreatic enzymes, proton pump inhibitors, painkillers, vitamins, etc.
The main indications for surgical treatment of chronic pancreatitis are the recurrent course of chronic pancreatitis, with frequent exacerbations and chronic pain syndrome, which significantly reduces the quality of life of the patient. In addition, one of the main indications for surgical treatment is the presence of post-necrotic cysts of the pancreas, the occurrence of jaundice, etc. Specialists of our center have a full range of operations on the pancreas, including laparoscopic method.
In the Moscow Clinical Scientific and Practical Center named after A. S. Loginov, the treatment of chronic pancreatitis is carried out jointly by gastroenterologists, endocrinologists and surgeons.
Do not delay your visit to the specialists of our Center. This will help to diagnose the disease in a timely manner and choose the right treatment tactics. Doctors of the State Medical Institution of the Moscow State Medical Center named after A. S. Loginov DZM are always ready to help you.