Anorectal manometry is a functional diagnostic study of the anorectal area in order to obtain information about the tone of the anorectal muscle complex, the uncoordinated contractions of the rectum and the sphincters of the anus.
It is used for bowel movement disorders, clinical symptoms of incontinence of intestinal contents ( gases or feces), before reconstructive operations
Defecation disorders, fecal incontinence are delicate problems that everyone can face. Often, shyness prevents people from contacting specialists and talking about their symptoms. Timely diagnosis and treatment will allow you to lead a normal lifestyle.
You should seek advice if you notice the following symptoms:
- bowel movement less than 1 time in 3 days;
- the stool is liquid, watery, causes severe irritation;
- isolation of dry and solid feces
- severe discomfort in the anorectal area (feeling of heaviness, burning, incomplete bowel movement).
- signs of intestinal incontinence: feces or gases
Anorectal manometry is a method of functional research that measures the pressure of the anal sphincter muscles, sensitivity in the rectum, and examines the neuroreflective activity of the muscles of the anus that controls defecation. In other words, it shows how strong the sphincter muscles are and whether they relax during defecation, the degree of fatigue of the muscles of the anorectal zone.
Indications for the procedure are:
- fecal or gas incontinence;
- Hirschsprung's disease;
- acute and chronic anal fissures
- irritable bowel syndrome;
- determination of indications and evaluation of the effectiveness of biofeedback therapy (biofeedback);
- assessment of anorectal function before reconstructive bowel surgery.
The study is carried out on special equipment, during which the doctor performs functional tests.
How to prepare for the procedure of anorectal manometry?
- It is necessary to clean the distal part of the colon. For this purpose, you can use ready-made microclysms ( for example: microlax or enema wedge) or one enema with 500 ml of water at room temperature in the morning, on the day of the procedure.
- Patients with constipation should perform these procedures twice: in the evening before the study and in the morning on the day of the study
How is the study conducted?
You come to the Center. The procedure will take no more than 45 minutes.After the examination, there is no need to stay in a hospital, so you can plan your day and do everyday things.
Stages of the event:
- The patient takes off his clothes below the waist and lies on his left side, bending his legs at the knees.
- He is injected rectally with a catheter with a canister . The other end of the catheter tube is connected to a pressure measuring device.
- Measurements are taken. During the procedure, the catheter balloon is inflated several times with air. At the same time, the doctor periodically asks you to perform functional tests: to compress or relax the muscles of the anal sphincter or to make an emptying movement, simulating the act of defecation.
- Evaluate the results obtained.
You do not experience any pain, but certainly the insertion of the catheter causes discomfort. The procedure is easy for both adults and children.
Are there any contraindications?
Anorectal manometry is a safe and highly accurate method of examination. Specialists do not conduct it if there is :
- allergies to latex products;
- severe inflammatory changes in the rectum, bleeding from the rectum.
In the laboratory for the diagnosis of functional diseases of the MCSC, you can pass this study on high-precision equipment. Make an appointment for the procedure by phone:
8(495) 304-30-39; 8(495)304-30-40.
3-16 Аноректальная манометрия - 4800 rubles