Endoscopy in questions and answers. Diagnosis of MCSCSJun 7, 2021
Specialists of the MCSC named after A. S. Loginov prepared answers to the most frequent questions of patients on endoscopic diagnostic methods.
- After visiting a gastroenterologist, I was prescribed an endoscopic examination of the gastrointestinal tract. How necessary is this?
Endoscopic examination allows you to thoroughly identify changes in the mucous membrane of the accessible parts of the gastrointestinal tract. After all, most diseases of the esophagus, stomach and colon do not have a clear clinical picture. Complaints are often limited to pain of different nature and intensity, violations of the passage of food, weight loss. Endoscopic examination allows you to identify the nature and extent of pathological changes, quickly make the correct diagnosis and immediately prescribe adequate treatment.
- But almost nothing bothers me, is it really necessary to undergo an endoscopic examination?
Many diseases at an early stage are asymptomatic and endoscopic examination allows you to detect the so-called "random findings". Unfortunately, most often this applies to cancer. At the same time, timely diagnosis of the tumor allows not only to achieve a complete cure, but also to use modern sparing minimally invasive treatment technologies, perform operations through endoscopes or small skin punctures.
- Is it true that after 50 years of age, a regular endoscopic examination of the gastrointestinal tract is necessary, even in the absence of complaints?
Yes, you are absolutely right. With age, the risk of developing tumors progressively increases. That is why endoscopic examination is included in the mandatory program for the search for early cancer in all progressive countries.
- Is it really impossible to replace the endoscopic examination with something else?
Of course, it is possible, but at the same time, the overall information content and quality of the diagnosis is lost. The modern approach to examination on the contrary welcomes the combination of endoscopy with other imaging methods:
- computed tomography.
At the same time, different survey methods are considered not as exclusive, but as complementary to each other.
- Is it possible to combine several imaging methods simultaneously in one study?
You are just talking about one of the modern diagnostic methods - endoscopic ultrasonography, which combines endoscopic and ultrasound examination. Our center has accumulated a unique experience of its application for the detailed diagnosis of various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and abdominal organs.
- I can't even imagine how I'll survive the study?
Everything is much easier than you think. Endoscopic examination is more unpleasant purely psychologically, especially at the thought of nausea and the possibility of being in an awkward situation in front of the doctor. However, the use of local anesthesia and the professionalism of specialists involved in endoscopic diagnostics on a daily basis will allow you to conduct the study in a comfortable atmosphere.
- And yet, Doctor, haven't you come up with something more easily tolerated?
We can offer you research with ultra-thin devices. For example, to examine the stomach, you can pass a thin device through the nose without irritating the root of the tongue with the exception of the gag reflex. The technique was called transnasal gastroscopy and was widely used abroad. In our center, it has been used systematically and successfully for several years.
- I also heard about the possibility of conducting a study of the intestine with the help of a capsule. Can I do it in your center?
Yes, this technique is used for the study of the small intestine and large intestine when colonoscopy is intolerant. We have been using it for many years. To be able to conduct such a study, it is necessary to consult a gastroenterologist in our clinical and diagnostic department.
- Is it possible to conduct research in a dream or how to speak correctly under sedation (anesthesia)?
Yes, of course. This is also our regular practice. Of course, you will have to spend several hours in the clinic before fully waking up, first pass the necessary tests and get a consultation with an anesthesiologist to decide on the type of anesthesia. During the study, you can examine the upper and lower parts of the digestive tract, i.e. at one time to conduct a full endoscopic examination of the body
- If the endoscopic examination reveals changes, can I continue treatment and follow-up at the MCSC?
Naturally. Regardless of the nature of the detected changes, you can continue monitoring or receive medical and surgical treatment for any detected disease. At your service is a unique team of highly educated specialists of various profiles, modern diagnostic methods, advanced treatment technologies, high-tech methods of minimally invasive surgery and endoscopy.
Our job is to take care of your health.